Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Every Wednesday morning I go and hand quilt at our United Church with a group of really wonderful ladies, well there really are only 5 of us most times.  These ladies are all sporting 84+ years, spry, full of fun and I so look forward to being with them each week.  The church also holds a rummage sale each week on Wednesdays.  Donations of fabric come into the quilting room for us to look at and choose things we like.  Today was a very special day.  A quilting lady I know sent a bag to the church for me and I want to show it to you.
This top is 55" x 65" and the dasies are fused on.  Here is a close up of the flowers.

I don't think the lady liked these flowers.  They are fused on.  Does anyone know if you can remove something that has been fused?  It is too bad the background shows through.  If I leave them there, I will applique another set of petals and a center over the fused ones.  Do you think I should add stems and leaves or just leave the 3 flowers?

Here is another surprise the same lady gave me.

These are 24 fat eights.  I am open to suggestions as to what I can make with this.  A couple ideas I have, is a stacked coin quilt and I also love pinwheels. 

Another great find I got at the Rummage Sale is this beautiful crocheted edging.  It was on a table cloth but the cloth had stains so I cut the edging off.  I am a real sucker for these beautiful dolies and edgings you come across.  I guess I am centimental because my Mom crocheted.  These items are just disappearing so fast and they are so beautiful I have to hoard a little bit.
I hope someone has time to give me some ideas on these new projects. Today has been such a great day, spring is really coming along here and I was out for a walk this afternoon.  The fresh air, warm temperaturs and sunshine feel so good.  I hope you have had a good day today.

3 comments:

ButtonMad said...

cool blog!! we have some cool spring buttons (flowers) you could embellish your project with ;-) hopefully they inspire you - cheers

Grandma Coco said...

That crocheted edging is beautiful! Think of all the work that went into it! I'm glad you salvaged it. I agree with you about appliqueing flowers over your flowers. The shadow-through isn't very pretty. I don't think I'd bother with stems...but maybe more flowers? Love the fat eighths selection. You have a good friend there. Will be interested to see how you use them.

Karen said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend Wednesdays morning. Lots of goodies in that bag!