Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another Way to Applique

I have finished repairing the dasies on my quilt top.  I thought I would share with you how I did it as it can be used as a way to applique.

Firstly choose your fabric you are going to use (appilique).  Press it very well, startch and press it again.  You do not want any folds or creases as you will not be able to press again until the process is complete.

Find or purchase some light weight fusible interfacing.  Interfacing differs from fusible bond by only having glue on one side.  It is normally used in making clothing, but my friend used  it to make the arcs for her wedding ring quilt.

Now cut out your design from the fabric piece and the interfacing (mine is petals).  Take one piece of fabric and one piece of interfacing and with right side of fabric up place the side of interfacing with glue or dots on top, glue dots facing fabric.  With a short stitch, stitch around the edge using a narrow seam.  With my petal I had the bottom open to turn the petal right side out.  If you don't have this, like on a circle, make a slit in the interfacing big enough to pull the fabric through.  Be gentle and once turned out, smooth out the edges with your finger.  DO NOT PRESS!
Now I am going to use these petals to replace the ones on the quilt.  First I am going to snip a hold in each petal.
Now I am going to place each of 5 petals over the old ones with the interfacing side down.  Take your iron without steam and press the new petal in place.  Now you can stitch the petal in place using whatever methold you like.  I am going to use a blanket stitch on my sewing machine.  Do this with each petal.

Now you can take your finger and grasp the new top piece and using another hand pull from the back on the backing.  They will seperate.  All they are being held together with is the interfacing.  Now I am going to take a small pair of scissors and carefully cut away the fabric and interfacing behind the new petal.  Go slowly as it is so easy to snip your new piece.  Here are the pieces I have removed.  That is the old white petal with the interfacing peeled back.



Here you can see the before and after of the replaced petals.  I decided to add a couple smaller dasies and the process is exactly the same.  Place the flowers where you want them, press them in place, stitch down.  To cut the backing away, pull the top and bottom apart and make a slit in the backing.  Now you can trim away the backing and interfacing.  You will do the same process for the flower centers.  Here is a pic of my finished flowers.
This process is not good to use as an applique for small irregular shapes but does a nice job on simple flowers and leaves.  It is an easy beginner type of applique.  Hope this may be helpful to some new quilters.